Best carry-on hard shell luggage | Briggs & Riley Torq International Spinner

Don’t waste your valuable time with checking luggage ever again. And certainly don’t risk your luggage getting lost along the way. If you’re in the market for a new international-size carry-on bag, then we strongly consider your checking out our overall pick, the Briggs & Riley Torq International Spinner. This bag is heads and shoulders above most carry-on hard shell luggage out there.

Below we lay out our case for this bag as the best hard case carry-on out there. But if its not your cup of tea, we also lay out the runners up as well.

Our overall recommendation for best carry-on hard shell luggage

Briggs & Riley Torq International Spinner

  • Product
  • Features
  • Photos

Briggs & Riley Torq(tm) International Carry-On Spinner Carry On Cobalt/Cobalt/Academy One Size

Usually ships in 24 hours & Free shipping
Last update was on: May 3, 2021 11:20 pm

This is our pick right now for one of the best carry-on hard-shell luggage out there. Briggs & Riley have been killing it for years, and this is one of their most durable pieces of luggage.


This is a really well designed piece of luggage. It uses our favorite 80/20 clam shell design. Meaning that 80% of the internal space is in the main bucket and the other 20% is reserved for a really great zippable garment holder in the lid. You’ll be surprised how much stuff you can actually fit in this 20% area! All of the external zippers are lockable and the bag features the Briggs & Riley “control panel.” This is an integrated TSA friendly combination lock which will actually lock both the main and outside pockets.

One of our favorite things about Briggs & Riley bags is that they use external mounted “outsider handles.” This means that the roller handle doesn’t take up valuable space in the bag and instead keeps the main pocket completely flat. We love it and find it hard to go back to cheaper bags with the handles taking up this space.

The handles on this bag are just awesome. They are made of a soft-touch rubber-like material that is very easy on the hands. You won’t have any problems yanking this sucker out of the overhead bin or lugging it down a flight of train station stairs (I’m looking at your Tokyo).

Lastly, the external pocket has a great padded iPad/tablet sleeve that is perfect for your tablet or some documents on the go.

The 10 best luggage brands you can buy


Made of 100% polycarbonate on the outside, this is the kind of bag that could probably be dropped out of the plane in mid flight and still be okay. It’s an absolute beast in terms of durability. The polycarbonate also makes this bag very lightweight and incredibly scratch resistant.

The bag uses the best in class YKK RC zipper which are smooth as butter but also super rugged.

The spinner wheels on the Torq carry-on are recessed which makes it much harder to accidentally damage the wheels. The wheels themselves are top notch, using only steel components.

Buyer’s Guide: Best carry-on luggage (hand baggage)

Our recommendation explained

This is a great carry-on bag and without a doubt in the top five best in the business. We think for most people that this is the best hard-shell carry-on bag around.


  • Ridiculous durability with polycarbonate
  • Smart pocket design that isn’t limited by the roller handle
  • Lifetime warranty from Briggs & Riley is best in the industry


  • Only available in an international-size carry-on. For those of you looking for domestic, look at our runners up below…

Our top ten hard-shell carry-on luggage picks

Briggs & Riley Torq International Spinner doesn’t fit your needs, then we have 9 other great hard-shell carry-on bags that will certainly fit the bill. Each of these passes our test of (1) smart design, (2) high durability and (3) trusted manufacturers with solid track records.

Bluesmart Smart Carry-On Bag
out of stock
Travelpro Crew 11 22" Hardside Upright, Navy
in stock
3 new from $186.99
Last updated on May 3, 2021 11:20 pm
We will be happy to hear your thoughts

Leave a reply

Carryon Guru